MUST READ: "Dying in Indian Country."

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Sarah is our Princess Di.

The Obama campaign continues to profess to represent the middle class, as Biden stated again and again during the debate, while at the same time condemning and belittling Sarah for being middle class. Don't they understand that when they cut her down - they’re cutting down everyone just like her? Do they honestly not realize how many of us are just like her? Sarah Speaks for Us! Obama does not.

First, I didn't hear an overly "folksy" speech as some have complained. The over-the-top condemnation of her vernacular is unmerited. What I heard coming from Sarah is a friend across the kitchen table. The elite apparently had a problem with that. But the only politician whose speaking ever made me cringe was John Kerry - when recordings of his decades old testimony before a Senate committee surfaced during his run for the presidency. That New England elitist tone, so different than the way he speaks today, gave me the creeps. "Phony" is the word that immediately came to mind. If it was a real speech pattern and not just a "put on" act to appear distinguished, why does he not have that same tone today?

Do you honestly think I would condemn someone for using the "gonna?" Give me a break. The middle class has just as much right to speak and vote as the elite do. Do I care if foreign dignitaries wouldn't like it? No. She represents me - who I am. I also doubt that foreign dignitaries are going to care. As a matter-of-fact, I think they just might embrace her as much as we do; they'll remember how well condescending attitudes toward Princess Di went over.

Secondly, Sarah's replies during the debate had substance and were intelligent. Some people didn't think so. But again, her reply's reflected the world view of a large part of the country. Simply because the elite don't agree and don't understand them doesn't mean she lacked substance. They're just being nasty. Sarah is a wonderful woman and I would love to see someone who honestly represents the middle class in the White House. Politicians have been saying for years that they represent middle class values. Now we have someone that actually does, and left-leaning politicians and hollywood types are all over themselves to condemn her for it.

Thirdly, I appreciated how confidently Sarah confronted Senator Biden. She told him that the McCain team supports domestic solutions to the oil crisis and is not willing to put up the white flag of surrender in Iraq. She made clear that the Democrats had regulated the banking industry to the point that banks were forced to make bad loans and are largely responsible for the current economic crisis. She also pointedly clarified Senator Biden's misstatement of her beliefs concerning same-sex marriage.

What I appreciated most? Her statement that the McCain team, as a team of mavericks, is "not gonna agree on everything." I so much appreciate that McCain has given her the freedom to be who she is and neither of them are afraid of it. Thank you, John.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I'm sure you are a lovely person, doesn't it scare you in the slightest that a woman who clearly does not understand global politics will be presiding over our Senate and so near to the President? I believe that my representatives should have education from the best universities our nation has to offer. I would like to know that the most powerful people on the planet understand fully our history and all the dynamics that accompany this. We do not have to understand all of these things as much as our nation's leaders. Shouldn't our President and Vice President have at least as the equivalent knowledge as an entomologist on insects or an astronomer on the solar system? These people are dealing with no more complex issues as our global economy, for example. This is why I cannot support Sarah Palin despite her being chummy on the tele.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the note.

I guess I don't believe we've ever had presidents or vice presidents that were experts. Most of our presidents began their tenure without global experience. Many were Governors, including Bill Clinton. Albeit, he'd been a governor for a longer period. Still, what was his global experience? Abe Lincoln's "formal education consisted of about 18 months of schooling, but he was largely self-educated and an avid reader." He appears to have taught himself law and spent 4 years in the Illinois state legislature, as well as two years in the US House of Representatives, and then left politics entirely for several years.

He went on to lead us through the Civil war. Now, I realize that the issues we have facing us today are huge. But I don't think we have anyone on either ticket that has the experience one would hope for to address these monolithic issues. I don't believe for a moment that Obama has the global or economic experience necessary. What I do know is that Dr. William Allen, professor of political science and former Chairman of the US Civil Rights Council, told me at Breakfast three weeks ago that after much thought, he's laying aside his previous dissatisfaction with McCain and supporting him for president because "He's the only candidate that can properly manage Iraq."

I know that isn't what many people want to hear. But as you said, we can't understand everything that our leaders do, so it comes down to for all of us is "whom will we trust?" We all have to make a decision who we trust the most.

I'm not scared of Palin. There is something in her that speaks to me. She's been mocked, but I think most of that is political mudslinging. I think, in fact, that she's very intelligent and capable.

Thanks again for writing