MUST READ: "Dying in Indian Country."

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Plumbers should share the Wealth? Give me a break.

Quoting from a conversation Senator Obama had with a small business owner yesterday,

“Your new tax plan is going to tax me more, isn’t it?” the plumber asked. He then said that he was being taxed “more and more for fulfilling the American dream.”

Senator Obama responded, “It’s not that I want to punish your success. I just want to make sure that everybody who is behind you, that they’ve got a chance for success too,” ...“My attitude is that if the economy’s good for folks from the bottom up, it’s gonna be good for everybody … I think when you spread the wealth around, it’s good for everybody.”

Well, Obama thinks wrong. Having spent as much time in inner city neighborhoods as he says he has, he should know how it really works. I do. I've been there.

I have seen the rampant welfare fraud. I have known the guys that sleep till noon, then get up, watch TV for a little while, then go find their drugs of booze with their buddies. I have known the guys that make sure they are home with their girlfriend, mother or sisters when "Mother's Day" (the first of the month) arrives. They stay until the money runs out, and then hang out somewhere else until the next "Mother's Day." Thirty years ago I was taught by the best of them how to swindle the system. My husband and I lived that way for ten years, until we had a life-changing experience and woke up.

We stopped taking welfare at that point. In 1992, after a period of learning and growing, my husband made a decision that he wasn't going to accept any other funds from the government, either - not fuel assistance, WIC, food stamps or the commodities given out on the reservations. Instead, he worked hard to feed our family and raise our children. He also bought chickens and goats, and our oldest son learned to work - taking care of the goats and milking them. WE were the poorest of the poor, because we qualified for all the government entitlements, but were taking none of them.

Our children are now grown or near grown and they need jobs, not welfare. The only way they will have jobs is if there are jobs out there to be had. We need to support and encourage business, large and small. I can't understand how anyone with any sense can read what Obama said about "sharing the wealth" and even consider voting for him. He says these things in order to get the inner cities to vote for him - the people that Acorn is signing up. The people we left behind 20 years ago, who cared for nothing more than what they could get out of the system and will vote for Obama because the Acorn group and people like them are telling them that Obama will give them what they want.

No comments: