MUST READ: "Dying in Indian Country."

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Despite All, McCain Won Almost Half the Popular Vote.

.
Some are already blaming Sarah Palin, Fox News, President Bush, and even Joe the Plumber.

Come on.

Despite Bush’s unpopularity, fatigue with Iraq, Obama's charisma, McCain's age, the fact that this was a Democratic year, the $600 million that Obama received, the blanketing of Obama ads, the media bias for Obama, and the economy," John McCain got 46% of the popular vote.

Stop and think - that means despite all those things against him, almost half of America still preferred McCain over Obama.

If McCain had run a good campaign and brought home the fact that he had been fighting for years to stop Fannie and Freddie from doing what they were doing, and Obama hadn't had all those donations from overseas to use to blanket the media with campaign promises - as well as Acorn and other organizations committing voter fraud - what would have been the result?

I think that all things considered, Senator McCain did very well. This election in no way means that Conservative views were rejected.
.

  • Many of the new voters - people who wouldn't have voted otherwise - voted Obama, including my 21-year-old son-in-law, had no real knowledge or care what the issues were. They simply thought Obama was cool, or that Obama is going to work miracles in their lives.
  • Others say they voted for Obama because McCain gave them no reason to vote for him. But in saying that, did they say they embrace Obama's issues? No.
  • And others say they voted for Obama because McCain went negative. Is that saying they agreed with Obama on the issues? No.
.
Many of the newly registered voters had no idea what they real issues were and weren't concerned about them. It's a very sad day in America when an election as important as this one has been decided by people bought by charisma.

Further - both Obama and McCain had moved to the right in their campaigning. Obama was on the extreme left and moved to center and McCain was center and moved farther right. That shows that America is more to the right than to the left, and it still is. Don't believe anyone who tries to tell you it's not. The California marriage amendment is an example of where America stands.

There are no tears of regret here. Sarah Palin still represents the conservative half of America - which still has a right to exist and is not going away.

God Bless the Palins and McCains. I pray the Lord now leads them in the direction they are to go in order to serve His - The Lord's - Holy purposes. And I pray the Lord leads us as well. Lord, please give us all the wisdom and courage to do whatever you ask of us. I ask this in Your Holy Name - the Holy Name of Jesus.
.
.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd like to ask an honest question, and I really don't mean to be antagonizing or disrespectful. Please forgive me if I come off that way.

Do you feel that Sarah Palin and/or conservativism embodies your values? Did that influence your vote?

I ask because I believe that Barack Obama does embody my values, and that swayed my vote. I believe that government exists to assist with the projects that are too big for individuals and communities to take on -- building highways, making sure that business doesn't get overrun with greed, and yes, "spreading the wealth" when some people are continuously left out of the ways to gain wealth.

I also greatly appreciate his desire for common ground. I imagine that you and I disagree on the values that I mentioned -- I personally support abortion as a necessary liberty for women. I won't assume, but I hope we could agree that women and children often need special protection in our society against exploitation, and that we should work together towards the goal of fewer unwanted pregnancies. Again, we may disagree on how that's possible. But I bet we could agree that it's necessary that we teach our children that sex is not something to take lightly. You may want our children to wait until marriage; I want them to wait until they are mature enough to understand the implications of their actions.

I honestly am not trying to force you to agree with me, but Google led me to your blog and I was hoping I could demonstrate that not all Obama supporters are crazy. I probably didn't succeed, but thanks for letting me air my opinion =) Have a nice day!

Unknown said...

Thanks for your thoughtful note.

Yes, Sarah Palin does embody my values. I would have had a hard time voting for McCain without her, because his values are also somewhat to the left of mine. I think you're right that in choosing who we want as a leader, it's the values and policy positions that matter the most.

I also think you are right that you and I have similar "over all" goals, but simply disagree on how we as a society can reach those goals.

In teaching kids that sex isn't to be taken lightly, I would like to have stricter standards on what the entertainment and media industries are allowed to promote in public. I say this from my exoeriences with trying to teach kids - my own as well as extended family that have lived with us - to wait for sex. But the problem is that although I am teaching them one thing, everywhere they look, America is telling them something else.

I appreciate your note very much. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Can I ask another question? I'm my mother's daughter and I love to talk to people.

Do you think President Bush was elected because of his values? Do you think that he demonstrated those values in office?

Do you think that all Christians have to share the same values?

I did not feel as if the Bush Administration supported any of my values -- caring for the sick, lifting up the poor from poverty, equality and liberty and free education and so on.

At the same time, I know that a government that I completely agreed with would mean that a lot of people would feel the same way I did -- powerless, angry, unrepresented. I hope -- and believe! -- that the Obama Administration will include a wide variety of voices in their decisions. I don't expect you or I will agree with all of his decisions.. I'm frustrated with the economy and not sure that throwing money at the problem will help. But I really think that including all these points of view will help.

That's probably where I'll leave you alone. Thanks again for humoring me!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

do think President Bush was elected because of his values. I think that in some areas, he demonstrated those values and in other areas he attempted to demonstrate those values. And in some areas, he may have failed in his intentions.

I know that as a parent, I have goals I want to reach. But sometimes, my attempts to reach those goals, with all the various personalities and issues in the house, don't work out well. How much more difficult it must be to run a country, with all the complicated issues, myriad dilemmas, and different factions to please or compromise with.

Whatever the reasons that things worked out as they did, I do believe his heart was for good. (He also had a Democratic Congress to fight with)

Do I believe all Christians have to share the same values? I believe that all Christians, in taking on the name of Christ, have a mandate to follow and obey Jesus Christ. As Christians, we are to be Christ-like.

Now, different people have different ideas of what that means. One man has recently called into question my Christianity because I wouldn't post his comments. I don't believe that being Christ-like necessitates accepting unnecessary abuse.

As far as values concerning caring for the sick, lifting up the poor from poverty, equality and liberty and free education and so on, we all want to see this, but there again not everyone agrees on the details of how to bring these things about.

My husband was a member of the Minnesota Chippewa Tribe. Fifteen years ago, after becoming a Christian, he realized that all the entitlement programs on the reservations are hurting people more than they are helping. He felt that welfare, free housing, commodities, and all the other programs were actually keeping people down rather than raising them up. In fact, he said that they are the source of the feelings of hopelessness and helplessness on the reservations.

You can read more about how he felt, including his senate testimony, at his web site. (we keep it up although he passed away four years ago)

http://www.accessmontana.com/morris/index.html

I can't write more because I'm up to my ears in work as well as starting a new business this month, but you can get some answers at that site to some of your questions about why we, as Christians, feel that most social programs hurt more than help.

Thanks again for writing.